For my bachelor degree in Creative Technology I was required to participate in several projects throughout the year. This page describes the projects that I am most proud of, learnt the most from or find very interesting shortly. They are in the reverse order of when I participated in these projects, so the latest project is first.
CreaTe Final Project
For my final assignment I worked with Infotopics, a company based in Oldenzaal, the Netherlands, that visualizes business data for their clients. I was asked to redesign ObTopics, one of their products and look into the integration of usability requirements into the existing web information portal ObTopics. ObTopics is a management information tool for the educational office Onderwijsbureau Twente, its school boards and their headmasters designed by Infotopics. The study aimed to develop an improved interface design for this web information portal and guidelines for Infotopics for future endeavours.
A mix of different inputs and participatory methods were used to gather information for the interface redesign. Literature research provided various general lists of usability requirements for websites and interfaces. Current trends provided several different advantages and disadvantages when combined with the requirements and vision of Infotopics. A wide range of participatory methods such as brainstorm sessions, tests, tasks, questionnaires and assessment tools were used to solicit input from the web portal’s designers from Infotopics as well as the different groups of users from the schools. Gradually the prototypes for the website moved from simple wireframe prototypes to a functional prototype and a final design.
The final design integrated an improved structure with user-friendly interaction based on current design trends. The users highly appreciate the new look and improved functionality of the proposed web information portal. The usability guidelines contain the relevant and appreciated usability recommendations for website interfaces to be used by Infotopics in possible future endeavours.
Unfortunately the report en results cannot be publicised due to copyright issues.
The Human Media Interaction faculty challenged us to design a game in which people who were training to be police officers would learn they theory behind questioning people whilst they were questioning people, as the police academy realized that their students generally don’t want to learn the theory behind questioning before they started practicing questioning. In the demo of the game we designed, the player can ask a virtual suspect questions about an event that happened. In this project, I focused on the modelling of the 3D character for which I used Maya and Faceshift. The video below shows a demo of the game, in Dutch.
Hybrid worlds challenged us to work together with a big group of students (20+). We built a Rube Goldberg machine around the theme of internet security. This meant that several different types of attacks on a central server were visualized in this installation. This sounds really vague, but the final installation was very impressing! See the video below (it is in Dutch).
For Ambient Screens we were challenged to try to find a different way of using a screen, projection or otherwise. For this project I developed a water screen, a waterfall on which we projected an aquarium with fish that reacted to someone who touched the water. This video shows how we built and tested our waterfall screen.
Living and Working Tomorrow – Cultural Heritage
The goal of the project was to create a system that makes museum visits engaging and personalized experiences through detailed stories that are developed around and including the museums objects, which form mysteries that can be played by the visitors. This system was supposed to fit onto a large amount of different types of museums, so it would be possible for almost every museum to easily adopt this new system. Our system would make visiting a museum entertaining and also educational for the visitor while they were experiencing an interactive and innovative adventure.
To realize this goal without changing a museums collection (this was a requirement from HMI, who gave us this assignment), we designed a QR based game which lead the visitor through the museum whilst following a storyline.